Few people would argue the importance of good dental care and no one denies that seeing a dentist on a regular basis is one of the ways to keep your teeth, gums, and mouth healthy. However, many people neglect dental care between visits, and it takes more than 1-2 checks and cleanings a year to keep your mouth healthy. Here are some things you can do between your visits to your Chesterfield dentists to keep your teeth in the best shape possible:
* Brush every day. No excuses, even if you are busy or away from home, 99% of the time you will find a way to brush at least once. Ideally it is 2-3 times a day after meals but you need to brush at least one time each and every day.
* Floss one daily, preferably before bed, to clean between the teeth and to remove food particles so they cannot cause bacteria to grow and cannot decay your teeth while you sleep.
* Use toothpaste and mouthwash that has fluoride in it to add an extra punch to your daily cleaning and cavity fighting attack and to create a protective shield around your teeth and gums.
* Avoid food and drink that can hurt or damage your teeth- don’t chew ice or hard candy, don’t eat a lot of sweets, brush or at least rinse after drinking wine or tea or soda, and take care of your teeth while eating.
* Get problems taken care of sooner rather than later. A small city or minor issues like beginning stage gum disease can quickly spiral into a major problem that can result in a lot of cost and pain to fix later on.
Taking care of your teeth and gums is a full time job and while your Chesterfield dentist can help you do the best job possible, the bulk of the responsibility is on you to do what you can to take care of your teeth between visits. To set up an appointment with a dental expert today call Chesterfield Family Dentistry! Follow us on twitter.